[extropy-chat] what to do

Brent Neal brentn at freeshell.org
Sat Jun 11 05:51:46 UTC 2005

 (6/10/05 18:56) Robin Hanson <rhanson at gmu.edu> wrote:

>Now that I have tenure, I'm tempted to spend the next few years on a new
>post-tenure project.  Since I should choose carefully, I solicit your
>advice.  No rush; it will be a month or two until I finish my current tasks.
>

>Here are the ten main choices as I see them now:

I'd be most interested in (2) and in (1), in that order. I'm moderately interested in see what would happen with (6) and (7), but those pose a bit more risk for you. I would recommend strongly staying well away from (9), unless you can find a collaborator who has a (good) reputation in physics to work with.  Too many really bright folks try to tackle problems like this and wind up looking like morons (Roger Penrose comes to mind).

Brent Neal
Geek of all Trades
http://brentn.freeshell.org

"Specialization is for insects" -- Robert A. Heinlein