[extropy-chat] what to do

Robin Hanson rhanson at gmu.edu
Sat Jun 11 15:20:50 UTC 2005

Thanks to everyone for their thoughtful comments.  I will ponder them and the
dozens of other comments I'm getting carefully before making a decision.

At 12:43 AM 6/11/2005, Hal Finney wrote:
> > 6. Demo Combo Betting - Write software to clearly demonstrate my vision of
> > combinatorial markets, then sell the tech or give it away.  ...
>
>As a professor, can't you get students to work for you?  Maybe you could
>have a student develop the software to your specs.  I seem to remember
>lots of professors who couldn't code their way out of a paper bag
>getting hot shot students to build great-looking demos of their ideas.

Well if I were a computer science prof at a top school, that might work.
But as an economics prof at a middling school, the students I can get
just aren't good enough to make that approach worth the bother.  Better to
get funding and then hire a professional to do it.

Associate Professor of Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323