[extropy-chat] book review: Radical Evolution

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Jun 12 19:53:14 UTC 2005

At 12:38 PM 6/12/2005 -0700, Jeff Davis wrote:

>I'm thinking that the author, or
>more likely the reviewer, attempted and achieved
>cleverness in his use of two nearly identical-sounding
>words with different but nevertheless apt meanings.

My point, though, is that Vinge does not, repeat NOT, regard the
singularity as a rapture -- `a rapturous moment he has dubbed "The
Singularity." ' Vinge actually thinks it's scary. But of course the
reviewer also asserts that Vinge is "eccentric", presumably on no other
grounds than his taking the idea seriously. I get so tired of this shit.

Damien Broderick