[extropy-chat] IQ vs Uploads (was: what to do)

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 13 19:44:53 UTC 2005

--- Robin Hanson <rhanson at gmu.edu> wrote:

> We don't know what processing/memory increase
> corresponds
> to a given number of IQ points increase.  But it is
> hard
> to believe that a factor of two every two years in
> CPU/mem
> doesn't beat a standard deviation per generation of
> IQ.

Are there any existent A.I.'s that can beat an
autistic 5 yr old on a standard I.Q. Test? I mean
without having all the right answers programmed in?
It strikes me that despite the advent of "expert
systems" type A.I., general problem solving, pattern
recognition, spatial awareness, creativity, and all
the other aspects of human intelligence are
under-represented in silico. I mean Deep Blue can
brute force a chess game but can't crack or understand
a simple joke. Let alone carry on a conversation with
even the sophistication of a kid with down's syndrome
or even the chimps (Coco et. al.), orangatangs, and
parrots (Alex et. al.) that have some grasp of human
language.
      Until we CAN measure the I.Q. of an A.I., I am
not sweating the singularity.

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't attempted to contact us."
-Bill Watterson