[extropy-chat] Wetware vs. Hardware (was IQ vs Upload)

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 14 21:46:15 UTC 2005

--- Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- The Avantguardian <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

> >      I have done some back of the envelope
> > calculations to try to answer my own questions on
> this
> > matter. If we have 10^12 neurons with 10^4
> connections
> > per neuron, the total connectivity of the human
> brain
> > is (10^12)*(10^4)/2= 5*10^15 total connections. I
> > divide by 2 because the connection from neuron A
> > neuron B is the same connection as from neuron B
> > neuron A.
>
> Incorrect. Each connection is a one-way channel.

Yes, that is why I divide by 2, because the
connections are not 2-way.

> You are assuming that the brain works like an IP
> network. It doesn't.
> Neural connections are created based on
> neurochemical signals (ones
> that get used a lot remain and are duplicated, those
> that don't,
> don't.)

Yes, but I had to simplify it way down to fit it on
the 'back of an envelope'

> Information isn't packetized, isn't addressed.
> Suggest studying evolved
> circuitry.

You are right, but I think that to a first
approximation my rough calculations stand. Yeah I
could probably do better but creating A.I. is not my
gig. My job is to figure out a way to live a 1000
years. I trust Eleizer, Eugen, Marc, and those guys to
figure out A.I.

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't attempted to contact us."
-Bill Watterson