[extropy-chat] Wetware vs. Hardware (was IQ vs Upload)

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 14 18:27:49 UTC 2005

--- The Avantguardian <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>      I have done some back of the envelope
> calculations to try to answer my own questions on this
> matter. If we have 10^12 neurons with 10^4 connections
> per neuron, the total connectivity of the human brain
> is (10^12)*(10^4)/2= 5*10^15 total connections. I
> divide by 2 because the connection from neuron A to
> neuron B is the same connection as from neuron B to
> neuron A.

Incorrect. Each connection is a one-way channel.

> This number alone is some 5000 times higher
> than the approximate figure of 1 terabyte of storage
> that Moore's Law has currently yielded us, but it
> isn't even a map of the SPECIFIC neuronal connections
> (i.e. neuron A is connected neuron B and so on) but is
> instead merely an aggregate figure of the total number
> of connections.
>
>      To be a specific map, one would have to have
> allocate approximately 10 bytes to address each
> connection, 5 bytes to address the input neuron and 5
> bytes to address the output neuron. This brings us to
> a total of about 5x10^16 bytes to have a virtual map
> of the human brain with near reality level resolution.
> This is 50,000 times more data density than we have
> currently achieved. So if Moore's Law keeps chugging
> away as expected then approximately 30 years from now,
> we should have our first human level AI.

You are assuming that the brain works like an IP network. It doesn't.
Neural connections are created based on neurochemical signals (ones
that get used a lot remain and are duplicated, those that don't,
don't.)

Information isn't packetized, isn't addressed. Suggest studying evolved
circuitry.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com