[extropy-chat] Death

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Wed Jun 15 06:42:06 UTC 2005

--- "Eliezer S. Yudkowsky" <sentience at pobox.com> wrote:
> The comfort I can offer you is this:  That we will storm the gates of
> Heaven,
> burn down God and anyone else responsible, tear down the foundations
> of the
> world, to stop this obscenity.
>
> In the name of Michael who is dead but not forgotten.

It may seem a harsh comfort, but those are my feelings as well.  Death
is a tragedy, and should be mourned, and we do indeed offer comfort.
But every death - especially of someone close to us - reminds us that
it is indeed tragedies we seek to end, as we feel the pain we wish to
free others from.

In this world where "in his name" or "in her name" is so often taken in
vain, let us honor our departed friends by cherishing the world that
they helped create, and that we still live in.  They may be dead, but
those who survive and remember - us - can give permanent meaning to
their lives by, at the very least, continuing to survive, with a life
that will always have been aided simply by knowing them.