[extropy-chat] Wetware vs. Hardware (was IQ vs Upload)

Max M maxm at mail.tele.dk
Wed Jun 15 09:16:18 UTC 2005

The Avantguardian wrote:

>     So by my back of envelope analysis of Moore's Law
>versus the Flynn Effect, the Singularity would still
>happen but it is still at least 30 years away.  I
>actually think I might be more prepared to deal with
>it on such a timetable than if it happened tomorrow.
>Consequently I will not lose any sleep over it. Ciao.
>:)

You are asuming that the interresting stuff in the brain goes on at the neuron level. We don't know this yet.

Most likely the neurons are organised in meta patterns, and if we can model those only we can probably do it with a lot less hardware.

Even if the neuron level is the most interresting, there is a lot of redundancy in the brain. So we might be able to get along with less in non-biological systems.

But the major problem is not really the hardware. Even if we had it today, we would not know what to do with it. As far as I know, not even an insect has been modelled in a usefull way.

Otherwise my house would be filled with robots with insect intelligence for cleaning, and my garden would be minded by another bunch of them.

--

hilsen/regards Max M, Denmark

http://www.mxm.dk/
IT's Mad Science