[extropy-chat] evolution of language

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Jun 16 17:03:57 UTC 2005

At 09:23 AM 6/16/2005 -0700, Mike Lorrey wrote:

>Given the bad=good evolution came out of the african american
>community, I would posit that one should look to europeans who have
>endured centuries of servitude, slavery, etc. i.e. anything that is
>'bad' for the master is considered 'good' for the slave, and vice versa...

Maybe to some extent, but there is a very large number of words in common
usage that mean the opposite of their original coinage but don't seem
amenable to that explanation. "Sophisticated" to mean knowing and classy is
the reverse of the earlier sense of fake and tawdry. But then one could get
into a complicated discussion about sophistry and Sophists and how the
former is a calumny against the latter. Perhaps Greek slave teachers of
philosophy in the Roman era are one source of this confusion, but I don't
think it's as simple as Mike's model suggests.

Damien Broderick