[extropy-chat] evolution of language

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 17 00:10:41 UTC 2005

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Damien Broderick

>... there is a very large number of words in common
> usage that mean the opposite of their original coinage but don't seem
> amenable to that explanation. "Sophisticated" to mean knowing and classy
> is the reverse of the earlier sense of fake and tawdry...
>
> Damien Broderick

The term "let" in the King James bible means "prevent."  This
one is really confusing to the unclued.

Another possibility is that meaning reversals result from
humor.  I am not a Buddhist, but rather an admirer of that
philosophy.  San Jose has a large and thriving Japan-town
where a great Obon Festival is held every July.  I often
volunteer as a noodle cooker, because it is the hottest job
and CR makes one nearly immune to heat.  The Shinto Buddhist
temple is about 95% Japanese.  I am often the only blondie
present.  They gave me a nickname or title, which translates
to "round eyed good person."  I suspected there was a shade of
extra meaning there, for they instructed me the emphasis was
important.

Later I learned that the title is more like "round eyed GOOOOD
person" with just enough accent on the GOOOD to slyly imply
that ordinarily round eyed persons are not good, so that one
is mildly surprised at the juxtaposition of these incompatible
adjectives.  The gentle Japanese sense of humor resulted in a
subtle reversal of meaning.

{8^D

I laughed my ass off.  That's how I got this way.