Slipping away (was Re: [extropy-chat] Death)

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 17 01:34:56 UTC 2005

--- Brett Paatsch <bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> Stuart, stuart! Wake up. Wake up.
That's very close to what my uncle said when that
dream started out.

> I go away from the list for a bit and some of my
> favourite
> rational types and writers of essays on therapeutic
> cloning
> start flirting with the paranormal.

Hehe. Actually I have spent most of my life AVOIDING
the paranormal (even more so than religion). I mean
crosses don't burn me or anything but I only go to
church if someone drags me there. Unfortunately the
paranormal has been flirting with me. Well to be
honest it felt more like the paranormal groped me and
tried to stick its tongue down my throat.

But don't worry, I haven't lost my rationality or my
objectivity. I don't even really expect or care if
anyone believes me. But I won't laugh at anyone when
they tell me similar things any more. After all, how
many coincidences are too many? Hamlet hit the nail on
the head: "There are more things in heaven and earth,
Horatio, than are dreamt of in our poor philosophies."

> Hey did you even do a "transhumanist" strength/grade
> version of that essay? I was kinda hoping to check
> out
> your science.

No, not yet. It wouldn't be an essay on therapeutic
cloning alone anyway. That would be preaching to the
choir as I am often reminded. So the essay I want to
write for you guys would be a bit more broad and would
be about applications of specific cutting edge
technologies to the goals of life extension. Not
science-fiction but real practical stuff.

Unfortunately, I am trying to complete experiments and
write an actual scientific manuscript to submit for
review by the the end of summer, so I have been really
busy of late. But I haven't forgotten and you folks
will get your essay. :)

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't attempted to contact us."
-Bill Watterson