[extropy-chat] Re: Slipping away

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jun 17 02:05:09 UTC 2005

> --- Brett Paatsch <bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>
>> I go away from the list for a bit and some of my
>> favourite
>> rational types and writers of essays on therapeutic
>> cloning
>> start flirting with the paranormal.
>
> Hehe. Actually I have spent most of my life AVOIDING
> the paranormal (even more so than religion). I mean
> crosses don't burn me or anything but I only go to
> church if someone drags me there. Unfortunately the
> paranormal has been flirting with me. Well to be
> honest it felt more like the paranormal groped me and
> tried to stick its tongue down my throat.

Hey get a room, perhaps this should be slightly more of a
family list. I've now got all these icky images of ectoplasm
all over the place.

> .. After all, how
> many coincidences are too many? Hamlet hit the nail on
> the head: "There are more things in heaven and earth,
> Horatio, than are dreamt of in our poor philosophies."

I thought it was "in all *your* philosophy",  but I could be
mistaken and haven't checked. Perhaps you're gentling
down Hamlet by removing the rude verbal finger pointing.
Still I suspect the poor guy was not in a polite frame of
mind at the time after visits from ghostly fathers and all.

>> Hey did you even do a "transhumanist" strength/grade
>> version of that essay? I was kinda hoping to check
>> out
>> your science.
>
> No, not yet. It wouldn't be an essay on therapeutic
> cloning alone anyway.

Yeah that terminologies dated donchaknow. Think
its NT, nuclear transfer, now. Was somatic cell nuclear
transfer for a bit but jeepers how long can people keep
saying all that.

> .. the essay I want to
> write for you guys would be a bit more broad and would
> be about applications of specific cutting edge
> technologies to the goals of life extension. Not
> science-fiction but real practical stuff.

Great! Very handy, I'll stick it on me fridge ;-)

> Unfortunately, I am trying to complete experiments and
> write an actual scientific manuscript to submit for
> review by the the end of summer, so I have been really
> busy of late.

No rest for some classes of humanity.

> But I haven't forgotten and you folks
> will get your essay. :)

Cool !

Brett Paatsch

'Hoaky sceptics of the world unite you have
nothing to save but your brains' - as one of the
Marx family should have said.