[extropy-chat] Professor Being Sued Over Anti-Aging Comments

Technotranscendence neptune at superlink.net
Tue Jun 21 01:12:02 UTC 2005

On Monday, June 20, 2005 4:38 PM The Avantguardian
avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com wrote:
>> Why not? Are we really so stupid that we can't make
>> our
>> own medical decisions without the oversight of a
>> gigantic
>> governmental regulatory body? I'm not.
>
> The FDA exists to protect the rubes. You don't
> need it but the rubes do.

No, I think given the FDA's record and impact on the health industry, it
really exists to protect the big pharmas.  Yes, it punishes them, but
its overall impact is to stifle innovation and competition.

>> Safety and efficacy tests could be done more cheaply
>> and
>> effectively by private industry. I imagine the UL
>> (Underwriter's Labs) and others would be more than
>> happy
>> to provide this service if it were not being
>> provided
>> under legal monopoly by government agencies.
>
> More cheaply yes and very probably much more quickly
> as well but nowhere as near as completely nor as
> objectively. Not there is no corruption in the FDA,
> but at least the mission statement of the FDA is not
> "find data to support the efficacy and safety of our
> client's product."

The FDA does not actually do the testing to begin with.  In fact, big
pharmas farm out the medical testing and provide the data to the FDA.
Seems to me this would be no different than just doing this without the
FDA.

Regards,

Dan
 See the "Form and Content in Poetry: A Reply to Jackie van Oostrom" at:
http://uweb.superlink.net/~neptune/Poetry.html