[extropy-chat] Professor Being Sued Over Anti-Aging Comments

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 21 01:40:53 UTC 2005

--- Technotranscendence <neptune at superlink.net> wrote:

> On Monday, June 20, 2005 4:38 PM The Avantguardian
> > More cheaply yes and very probably much more quickly
> > as well but nowhere as near as completely nor as
> > objectively. Not there is no corruption in the FDA,
> > but at least the mission statement of the FDA is not
> > "find data to support the efficacy and safety of our
> > client's product."
>
> The FDA does not actually do the testing to begin with.  In fact, big
> pharmas farm out the medical testing and provide the data to the FDA.
> Seems to me this would be no different than just doing this without
> the FDA.

Actually, private industry consumer protection would be better than the
FDA. Underwriters Laboratories, Consumer Reports, Insurance Institute,
and Electrical Testing Laboratories all do their own testing of
manufacturers products, to their own standards. Consumer Reports
publishes comparisons, even, so you know which product is better, more
cost effective, less dangerous, etc. As some of the names above
indicate, the insurance industry has a vested interest in seeing that
products are tested. One reason that health costs are rising so quickly
MAY be because govt regulated drugs are not held to as high a standard
as they would be if they were privately tested, leading to deaths and
injuries from complications, drug conflicts, as well as possibly a
complete lack of real effectiveness.

Drug companies disparage the FDA NOT because they require too much
testing, but because they take too long to approve a drug. Time in the
bureucratic pipeline does not equate to safety or sufficient testing.
The public would be better served by abolishing the FDA and simply
requiring a much higher level of testing, performed by third party
laboratories that establish their own testing standards like UL, ETL,
CS, and the II do.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com