[extropy-chat] Euphamism and Reality - a polite response to Mr. Paatsch. The Problem of Pain.

John-C-Wright at sff.net John-C-Wright at sff.net
Wed Jun 22 16:54:39 UTC 2005

I should start, as is apparently my wont, with an apology: this reply is tardy
because I did not realize Mr. Paatsch had written me back. If the conversation
has moved on to nobler topics, forgive me for returning to a prior point, but I
do not wish to have my silence make him cross, as it has apparently done in
times past.

Mr. Paatsch has done me the honor of writing; I must do him the courtesy of
responding candidly:

Q: To call an embryo a child is to beg the important ethical
question of what status that human entity ought have by
presuming to answer it in the formation of the question.
That is why I see it as biased or misleading to use the
term child.

A: This is well said, and I understand your point. I disagree with the
conclusion: people can discuss capital punishment or euthanasia without
insisting that these people be called monsters or vegetables. As far as I can
tell, it does not dispose of the question to call the entity in the womb a
child; if it is a child with no brain activity, the argument can be made, with
no violence to the English language, to say its right to life has not yet
vested. We can have a perfectly ration discussion on that point whether we call
the entity a child or not.

In any case, the world “child” means what it means in the English language. I
used the word correctly, as the dictionary confirms. Unless you call the
authority of the dictionary into question, there is no further ground for
dispute. You cannot claim I am using the word in a fashion alien to its common
use.

In the alternate, even if the use were prejudicial, that is, entirely
dispositive of the case, you would need to show the use incorrect before you
could level your accusation.

Suppose that if you and I were debating a proof in geometry, and I put forth the
theorem of Pythagoras. Suppose you realized that the theorem of Pythagoras is a
conclusion forced from the definition of a Euclidian right triangle, as well as
the definitions, common notions, and axioms of Euclidian geometry. There no
merit to the argument that my defining “right triangle” in a certain way forces
one to the conclusion. The argument must be on whether the entity under
discussion has the properties of a right triangle whether we call it that or not.

My argument, given in detail elsewhere on this list, is that a father’s duty to
preserve his children from harm, and see to their health and upbringing,
logically excludes taking acts which kill the child, whether done at the point
when the child is a mere mass of cells with no recognizable eternal human
characteristics, or later. The argument does not change if we change the terms
in which it is cast.

Finally, your word use here confirms my use. An “embryo” is a stage of
development through which a child passes. You cannot logically call the entity
under discussion an embryo without also allowing that is it a child; the one set
includes the other (Embryo being a stage of child development, ergo all embryos
are children; not all children are embryos). To say an “embryo” is not a “child”
is as if to say that an “adolescent” is not a “human being.” Adolescence is a
stage of human development.

Q: I found your recourse to a dictionary to justify your use
of the word to be disingenuous and potentially deceitful
given that Samantha and Damien had already objected
to the term.

A: Are you sure you mean to use the word “deceitful” in this sentence? Deceit
implies that I have a secret knowledge which I am keeping from my victims. In
this case, the knowledge is public. Anyone can look in a dictionary. How can
looking in a dictionary to confirm the proper use of a word be a deceit? Look
for yourself if you don’t believe me.

Notice that I corrected my use of the word “slay” which appeared in the original
letter near the beginning of this digression. There, the dictionary confirmed
that I was using the word incorrectly: I published a retraction. Was my recourse
to the dictionary “potentially deceitful” in the first case but not in the second?

Q: You seemed to be trying to use your skill
with words to steal a position and stack a debate rather
than to make your case on its merit.

A: Good grief. Thank you for the compliment, but I fear my skill with words is
less than it should be. My argument stands or falls by its logic, not in how it
is presented.

Q: A general dictionary definition of the word child is the
wrong tool to establish the meaning of the word child….