[extropy-chat] Microbes Produce Miniature Electrical Wires

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 23 22:28:22 UTC 2005

Extropes,

I thought this interesting.

http://www.umass.edu/newsoffice/archive/2005/062205microbes.html

“Such long, thin conductive structures are
unprecedented in biology,” said Lovley. “This
completely changes our concept of how microorganisms
can handle electrons, and it also seems likely that
microbial nanowires could be useful materials for the
development of extremely small electronic devices.”

The findings ... are “promising and exciting,”
although ... the information must be independently
confirmed and extended by other microbiologists and
biophysicists.

                 ******************

Humanity is so very proud of its technological
sophistication.  Stainless steel tech gear, micro/nano
computer gizmos, flashing LEDs, crisp white lab coats.
 But occasionally, when a fragment of the vast unknown
is revealed, I think of Dr. F's Igor, the overdressed
neanderthal.  Dumber than a sackfull of hammers.

Present company excepted, of course.  ;-)

Best, Jeff Davis

   "Everything's hard till you know how to do it."
                           Ray Charles