[extropy-chat] Re: Iraq and legality again

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Fri Jun 24 14:13:40 UTC 2005

Mike Lorrey wrote:

>--- John K Clark <jonkc at att.net> wrote:
>

>>"c c" <beb_cc at yahoo.com>
>>

>>>a liar known as FDR skillfully manipulated the US into WWII.
>>>

>>I don't know if that is true, but if it is then three cheers for FDR.
>>

>The same was done by Wilson to get us into WWI, and we were manipulated
>into the Spanish American war by Hearst, Truman got us into the Korean
>War because he emaciated our military after WWII, which encouraged
>Stalin and Kim to invade South Korea, while Johnson engineered the
>Tonkin Gulf incident.
>
>What is more important than who manipulated or lied to get us into a
>war, is whether more good came out of the war than not. Did the human
>condition improve in any way? The march of democracy and individual
>liberties around the planet in the 20th century is testament that for
>the most part, the human condition did improve, and often required
>combat to punctuate the equilibrium of tyranny previously established.
>It has cost us the mortgaging of America and the fractional slavery of
>every citizen to the government. Whether that sacrifice is truly
>considered by those who benefitted from the sacrifice more is worthy of
>debate, but neither should the results be denied.

I disagree.
A very good argument could be made that the US intervention in WW1
created the conditions for most of the misery of the last century. It
would probably have been better for the European powers to fight to
exhaustion and settle by mutual negotiation.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org