[extropy-chat] Re: Iraq and legality again

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 24 20:06:40 UTC 2005

--- Dirk Bruere <dirk at neopax.com> wrote:

> Mike Lorrey wrote:
> >
> >The same was done by Wilson to get us into WWI, and we were
> manipulated
> >into the Spanish American war by Hearst, Truman got us into the
> Korean
> >War because he emaciated our military after WWII, which encouraged
> >Stalin and Kim to invade South Korea, while Johnson engineered the
> >Tonkin Gulf incident.
> >
> >What is more important than who manipulated or lied to get us into a
> >war, is whether more good came out of the war than not. Did the
> human
> >condition improve in any way? The march of democracy and individual
> >liberties around the planet in the 20th century is testament that
> for
> >the most part, the human condition did improve, and often required
> >combat to punctuate the equilibrium of tyranny previously
> established.
> >It has cost us the mortgaging of America and the fractional slavery
> of
> >every citizen to the government. Whether that sacrifice is truly
> >considered by those who benefitted from the sacrifice more is worthy
> of
> >debate, but neither should the results be denied.
> >

> I disagree.
> A very good argument could be made that the US intervention in WW1
> created the conditions for most of the misery of the last century. It
> would probably have been better for the European powers to fight to
> exhaustion and settle by mutual negotiation.

Such a scenario would have resulted in europe-wide communist revolution
in the aftermath of popular disgust with existing governments, and
global war between Eurasia and the US by 1940, with the communists
controlling atomic technology.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com