[extropy-chat] 70% oppose resumption of military conscription

c c beb_cc at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 26 04:57:53 UTC 2005

Your logic is impeccable, in the instance of a foreign
invasion or flagrant disregard of treaties the
pragmatic course would be to conscript those capable
of bearing arms. However I was referring to the moral
violation of the individual by the state in drafting
civilians, acceptable to statists. For a libertarian
to advocate conscription or even registering for
concription (registration is reality today) would be a
negation of the spirit if not the letter of the
libertarian creed.
Your position is sound from the legal, pragmatic and
collective moral sense-- yet there is a little more to
it. You are tacitly admitting the state can supercede
the individual but there is no real contradiction with
you; all the same I am suggesting the individual can
in this context decisively supercede the state in the
very narrowest ethical sense. So we will have to agree
to disagree. There is no satisfactory philosophical
modus vivendi in this. Time will tell... there may be
a draft later rather than sooner. Or vice versa.