[extropy-chat] 70% oppose resumption of military conscription

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 26 18:04:22 UTC 2005

--- Dirk Bruere <dirk at neopax.com> wrote:

> Mike Lorrey wrote:
>
> >commit a negative externality, a sin of omission (i.e. voting for
> >politicians who treat terrorism as 'a crime' to be prosecuted, or
> >refusing to vote). Those who make excuses for and apologies for
> foreign
> >

> Er... terrorism *is* a crime. It's only in the US where it generates
> an hysterical response.

Terrorism is a *war crime*. As such, it must be fought against by
martial tactics and perpetrators prosecuted as *War criminal*, i.e.
under the Geneva Conventions and the UCMJ.

> Treating it as a crime is how we defeated the IRA in NI.

Bull. Britain used very heavy and heinous counterinsurgency tactics on
a par with Chile, Peru, etc. that included assasinations, torture,
kidnappings. The IRA also wore out public support with too extreme
atrocities.

> We didn't do it by invading the 'supporters of terrorism' ie Eire and
> the US.

Of course, you were occupying northern Ireland with the willful consent
of the entire populace, weren't you?

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com