[extropy-chat] 70% oppose resumption of military conscription

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Sun Jun 26 18:12:13 UTC 2005

Mike Lorrey wrote:

>--- Dirk Bruere <dirk at neopax.com> wrote:
>

>>Mike Lorrey wrote:
>>

>>>commit a negative externality, a sin of omission (i.e. voting for
>>>politicians who treat terrorism as 'a crime' to be prosecuted, or
>>>refusing to vote). Those who make excuses for and apologies for
>>>

>>foreign
>>

>>Er... terrorism *is* a crime. It's only in the US where it generates
>>an hysterical response.
>>

>Terrorism is a *war crime*. As such, it must be fought against by
>martial tactics and perpetrators prosecuted as *War criminal*, i.e.
>under the Geneva Conventions and the UCMJ.

It is if you want to lose the war.

>>Treating it as a crime is how we defeated the IRA in NI.
>>

>Bull. Britain used very heavy and heinous counterinsurgency tactics on
>a par with Chile, Peru, etc. that included assasinations, torture,
>kidnappings. The IRA also wore out public support with too extreme
>atrocities.

Not so. Those tactics, including internement without trial, were used in
the 1970s and found to be counterproductive. Now the US is learning the
same lessons.

>>We didn't do it by invading the 'supporters of terrorism' ie Eire and
>>the US.
>>

>Of course, you were occupying northern Ireland with the willful consent
>of the entire populace, weren't you?

No - a majority is sufficient.
BTW, does every single US citizen willfully consent to be ruled by the
US govt?
And as a matter of history, NI has been part of the UK for longer than
the US has existed.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-