[extropy-chat] computer chess again

Alejandro Dubrovsky alito at organicrobot.com
Tue Jun 28 11:48:19 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-27 at 20:15 -0700, spike wrote:
> A six game match between Englishman Michael Adams
> and Hydra ended up in 5 wins for the computer and one
> draw.
>
> http://www.chessbase.com/news/2005/games/hydra01.htm
>
> After seeing how convincingly Hydra spanked Adams in
> the match, and looking in particular at games 4 and 6,
> I am now firmly convinced that Hydra can easily defeat
> the other humans at the top of the heap.

Those two orders of magnitude in speed wrt PCs does seem to make quite a
qualitative difference.  1...e5 though is a silly thing to reply to a
computer and it's just a pity that that is all Michael Adams ever plays
(that said, Kramnik, who I thought would be the archetypal anti-computer
player, could only draw with Fritz not very long ago)
Note though that enhanced humans are not for finished yet.  The Hydras,
both 16 and 32 CPU versions, got hammered just a month ago in an
advanced chess comp.
alejandro