[extropy-chat] Faculty X

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Fri Mar 4 05:09:50 UTC 2005

Imagine a group of people who lack a certain innate quality of the
psyche, faculty X.
Their lives are both made easier in some circumstances, and more
difficult in others because they cannot understand in any depth what it
is they lack. They know the words for it, what effects are manifest in
other people, and tend to consider those who possess faculty X
themselves be irrational and enslaved by it. They have learned to work
around such foibles in others and even exploit them for their own
benefit. They feel themselves to be a superior kind of person because
they lack this obviously useless baggage.

When X =  conscience we call these people psychopaths
When X = spirituality we call these people atheists

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org