[extropy-chat] Atheism in Decline

Jeff Medina analyticphilosophy at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 21:18:59 UTC 2005

Mike Lorrey said:
> Does Joseph claim that calling Genesis a metaphor is an atheistic doctrine?
> [...]
> Josephs statements here imply to me another confirmation of what I see
> so commonly: most atheists suffer from stunted theology and a lack of
> sophisticated spiritual education, at least under whatever organized
> religion they were raised in (or lack thereof)

Rather, your pre-established notion that most atheists suffer from
stunted knowledge of theology moves you to misinterpret what atheists
wrongly. Joseph did not claim that calling one particular belief in
your religion (e.g., Genesis) metaphorical makes you an atheist. Not
even close. But if you believe that *all* of Christianity is
metaphorical, then you are not a Christian. This is not up for debate
-- the meanings of words are determined by use, and the *vast*
majority of those using the term "Christian" quite surely use it in
such a way that "Christian who doesn't believe in God or Christ as
real" is as self-contradictory as "square circle."

If you follow all the tenets of a particular religion, yet do not
believe in its claims in a metaphysical sense (e.g., do believe in the
external, independent reality of the religion's gods, angels, devils,
spirits, energies, or what have you), then you're a non-religious
person using a religion's principles as guides to your action.
*Everyone*, even the most 'devout' atheist, has some beliefs on what
is or is not the best way to interact with the world. Having such a
system of beliefs does not make you religious, on pain of making the
term "religious" meaningless (because it would then apply equally to
every human being who has ever existed), and also again on pain of
conflicting with the majority usage of the term.