[extropy-chat] Atheism in Decline

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 7 18:41:41 UTC 2005

--- Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:

> On Mar 6, 2005, at 10:43 AM, Mike Lorrey wrote:
>
> > Tolerable treatment includes a lack of mockery, disparagement and
> > insults.
> >

> You mean unlike the disparagement of and insults towards atheists you
> keep cycling on of late?  Is intellectual consistency and integrity a
> virtue in your system of values?

Consistency includes giving as gotten. I also believe you are ignoring
my equally critical evaluation of the quality of many theist arguments.
So I'm not asking for tolerance of myself, as an agnostic (since until
I have the knowledge to answer the questions of the Simulation
Argument, I shall not have gnosis one way or the other), but of the
atheist for the equally valid/invalid position of the theist as the
theist should have for the equally valid/invalid position of the
atheist.

I hear the atheists here crying all the time about the theist
majority's political actions with absolutely no attempts being made to
understand their position (such as the valid moral position of not
being forced by government to pay for medical procedures the individual
taxpayer believes are heinously wrong, which is just as wrong and the
same moral stance as opposing the forcing of atheists to pay taxes that
would go to support private religious education of other people's
kids). You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Now, you generally don't like to be called on this and act very
vehemently when I have used your own hypocrisy to justify other
policies you oppose. When are YOU going to show some moral consistency?

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com