[extropy-chat] Atheism in Decline: meme map

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Mar 7 22:06:01 UTC 2005

At 01:14 PM 3/7/2005 -0800, Adrian wrote:

>More than one Eastern religion, such as Buddism, seems compatible with both
>advanced science and advanced tech.

A strong countervailing current is spiritual monism: the claim that All is
Consciousness, or rather Consciousness is Primordial, sometimes these days
based in interpretations of QT. While I find this suggestion preposterous,
and almost certainly due to the conceptual pratfall of category mistake,
it's worth looking at, for example:

http://www.swcp.com/~hswift/swc/vol06no2/bkrev62.htm

That review, typically, includes such unpleasant absurdities as:
"Confronted with the genocidal horrors of our century, reason has nothing
to say." This denies the tentative answers offered by, say, evolutionary
and cognitive psychology without even attempting to refute them.

Still, Goswami and others like him (I don't include such dubious QT hawkers
as Deepak Chopra or Fred Allan Wolf) might be worth a few days' attention,
if only to counter their stance from an informed position, rather than a
priori dismissal.

Damien Broderick