[extropy-chat] Atheism in Decline

Steve Davies steve365 at btinternet.com
Tue Mar 8 23:04:36 UTC 2005

Leaving aside all the discussion this has started, I think it's worth
returning to the original report. Personally I think it's flawed by the way
it's set up or rather the terms it uses and so I'd be sceptical about its
conclusions. If by "Atheism" you mean self conscious secularism of the
Ingersoll or Bradlaugh kind then that certainly is in decline. However there
is no evidence for a significant increase in support for either Christianity
or some other kind of organised religion. All of the indications are that
the predominant position of most Europeans is one of indifference to
organised religion and articulated religious beliefs together with a kind of
vague belief in some kind of undefined deity or divine principle and a fair
amount of new agey notions. For example in the most recent British census
about half the respondents put themselves down as "No religion" but most
surveys indicate that two thirds of Brits would describe themselves as
"believing in God". My point is that while there is a lot of vague sentiment
of this kind there's little or no evidence of support for more explicit or
worked out religious beliefs, much less any sign of a revival in Christian
belief or observance. Also, although the militant aspect of Islam in Europe
gets a lot of coverage there's little attention paid to the phenomenon of a
loss of belief among many of the second and third generation. I notice that
the report did indicate that a revival of religious belief and sensibility
would probably take the form of neo-paganism. Personally I'd welcome that -
if religious belief is hard wired into us then polytheism makes a lot more
sense than monotheism. Also I'd say that traditional polytheistic religions
are and were a lot less harmfull than the forms of monotheism that developed
in the Middle east between the first and seventh centuries. SD