[extropy-chat] unidirectional thrust

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 15 06:47:45 UTC 2005

--- Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> At 08:43 PM 3/14/2005 -0800, spike wrote:
>

> >[I sez:] the equal
> > > and opposite force goes into the magnet which is bolted to the
> floor and
> > > hence doesn't move because the entire earth takes up the impact.
> >
> >The earth moves back the other way.  Not very much of
> >course, being as it is 6E24 kg, but it reacts the same
> >way any mass would.  Momentum is conserved.
>
> Quite so. But the point Mike wants to assert, I gather, is that his
> favorite gadget kicks against the entire unimaginably massive Machian
> frame of the universe, thereby extracting momentum and having its
> way with it.
> More fashionably, perhaps one might imagine doing this magic against
> the bulk brane substrate of M Theory (or something equally
> audacious). The proponents cited by Mike do use such wishful phrases
> as `electrogravitational coupling'...

You've got it. This is the mechanism we need to not only claim the
solar system but the stars as well. Virtually 100% of the propulsion
engineers out there are 100% rooted in strictly newtonian mechanics and
generally lack a clue in applying Maxwell's equations or relativity to
actual technological mechanisms that do physical work without turning
back again to Newton.

If Mach's Principle is true, and inertia is the whole universe
resisting your acceleration (when gravity is light speed dependent,
thus must have a time travel component to resist your push when you
push), there has to be a way to use it to lever one's spaceship against
the entire universe in return.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com