[extropy-chat] unidirectional thrust

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 15 18:40:50 UTC 2005

The mass of an electron is incredibly small, no doubt, but the
velocities we are talking about are very significant. This likely will
not get us high fraction of 1 g accelerations by any stretch of the
imagination but it will give us, IMHO, a way to dump a lot of energy
into propulsion without wasting mass. (and no, Dirk, doing so is not
over unity if the work done is less than the amount of energy put in,
please go back and read your physics textbooks). Once stable long term
fusion power plants are available, this propulsion tech would make
interstellar travel feasible and affordable for generational flights.
The thrust these devices produce is in the order of ion engines,
without the fuel loss.

--- Al Brooks <kerry_prez at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Even I'm interested.
> Wouldn't the amount of potential energy be negligible?
>

> >One of my own theories, in how such a device would bias inertia, is
> >that the field shapes the probabilities of the orbits of the
> electrons
> >in the plates in an asymmetric manner such that the electrons orbit
> in
> >a way similar to the masses in the Dean Drive, but they do so
> further
> >up into the near-relativistic velocity range, and as a result, the
> >masses of these electrons change as they go through their orbits,
> thus
> >changing the reaction of inertia against their change in angular
> >momentum.
>
> >Mike Lorrey

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)