[extropy-chat] unidirectional thrust

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Tue Mar 15 19:46:41 UTC 2005

Mike Lorrey wrote:

>The mass of an electron is incredibly small, no doubt, but the
>velocities we are talking about are very significant. This likely will
>not get us high fraction of 1 g accelerations by any stretch of the
>imagination but it will give us, IMHO, a way to dump a lot of energy
>into propulsion without wasting mass. (and no, Dirk, doing so is not
>over unity if the work done is less than the amount of energy put in,
>please go back and read your physics textbooks). Once stable long term

It's you who should do more reading.
In space with no universal reference frame a constant energy input
translating to constant acceleration can produce arbitrarily large
amounts of energy.
It is only with respect to a fixed reference frame that energy is
conserved - in which case SR and GTR are history.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org