[extropy-chat] forgive my pedantry, Mike

aiguy at comcast.net aiguy at comcast.net
Fri Mar 18 18:29:30 UTC 2005

>> These would be civil matters which a child or person who determines that
injury has occurred might
>> seek damages of some sort for;  if sufficient proof specific to the
cause and effect  in the injured party can be produced.

In the case of second hand smoke, the increased risk of health damage is
statistically cumulative in each incident at each establishment they visit
which allows the smoking to occur.

The cost of a class action lawsuit against those establishments visited over
the course of their lives would be very cost prohibitive and lead
to a lack of legal recourse for the individual.

It's interesting to think though that is was this type of class-action that
the government brought against the tobacco industry to collect for monies
that the state had to put up to pay medical costs for individuals damaged by
direct smoking.

So now that that precedent has been set.  Why not go after establishments
that cater to smokers in a similar suit to pay for medical expenses of
people damaged by second hand smoking.

Once a few such cases were won, the insurance companies and business owners
would do the rest.

  _____