[extropy-chat] A nonZen story

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sat Mar 19 20:53:28 UTC 2005

On Mar 18, 2005, at 1:42 PM, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 12:05:17PM -0800, Samantha Atkins wrote:
>> On apple laptops a quite serviceable IBook G4 goes for about $800 in
>> the US now.  That is with built in wireless.  This compares quite
>> favorably with inexpensive windows laptops. Considering the amount of
>> useable software pre-installed this is a quite good price.
>
> You'll need BTO Bluetooth and at least 512 MByte more memory which
> will set
> you back a bit more -- but it's still cheaper than a Pentium M box.
> Also, 12" is a bit small, and the display quality frankly sucks -- but
> otherwise it's a great machine.

Depends on the use of course.  Why do i need bluetooth unless I want to
use wireless keyboards/mice or talk to a bluetooth phone?   In any case
the module is around $70.   The base memory is quite serviceable in a
mac compared to a PC as unix handles virtual memory and i/o a lot
better than windows from my anecdotal experience.  in any case the
additional memory can be had for about $120 last time I looked.  So it
is still under  $1000.

> If you have a kid or a student, this is the right machine to buy as a
> present
> (but notice the extra memory + Bluetooth build-to-order options).
>
> For an adult I'd go with a 14" iBook, or a PowerBook.

I like my 12" PowerBook as it is more convenient to carry and use in
places where space can be at a premium.  If it was my only/primary
machine then I would agree for a relatively heavy user.