///// [extropy-chat] ///// {META - Help re Browsers}

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 21:55:08 UTC 2005

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 10:40:29 -0800, Hara Ra wrote:
> These days, every time I look at web sites, my machine gets loaded with an
> insane amount of adbots and spybots, even on innocuous sites (hah!) like
> dictionary.com. The last straw came when my Google Toolbar vanished, along
> with the popup killer.
>
> I've tried Mozilla, and it has two characteristics I loathe. First, I
> couldn't get it to open new windows for each Google search items I click
> on, so I often have to redo the search, second, Mozilla, like AOL, seems
> set up to stick to the my system like glue or stepping on gum (or more
> odious sidewalk stuff)

As you have realised it is almost suicidal to use IE for web browsing
these days. Even if you load up with all the software for antivirus,
antispyware, antipopups, etc. some will still get through.

I use Firefox all the time for browsing and only use IE to get patches from MS.
<http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/>

Firefox can be customised to operate any way you like. It has built-in
options and dozens of extensions that can be installed. You will have
to spend some time learning all the new stuff but it is worth it.

Specifically, left-click on Google search results will normally open
the link in the same tab, then you use the Back button to go back to
the search results page. As Samantha said you can also easily open the
link in a new tab or a new window if you prefer.

There are lots of other options, but this is probably the easiest for you.

Best wishes, BillK