[extropy-chat] Non-classic logics

Ian Goddard iamgoddard at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 28 08:07:58 UTC 2005

scerir wrote:

> In algebra (or algebra of operators)
> there is something called non-distributivity:
> (AxBxC) =/= Ax(BxC) =/= (AxB)xC.
> (Non-distributivity is different from
> non-commutativity).

I'm not sure what you mean. If by 'x' you mean the
multiplication operator, then what you're showing is
not true. Using '*' for multiplication, it is the case
that

(a*b*c) = a*(b*c) = (a*b)*c

because multiplication is associative. It's also
commutative

a*b*c = b*c*a = c*a*b

and distributive over addition

a*(b + c + ... + n) = a*b + a*c + ... + a*n

> Is there a non-standard logic reproducing,
> somehow, a property like this?

Some classic-logic operators such as AND (&) and OR
(v) like multiplication are also commutative and
associative such that (where '::' indicates that the
lefthand statement can be replaced without a loss of
meaning by the righthand statement and visa versa):

P & Q & R  ::  Q & R & P

P v Q v R  ::  R v P v Q

P & (Q & R)  ::  (P & Q) & R

P v (Q v R)  ::  (P v Q) v R