[extropy-chat] Re: Formulating a bet

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Mon Mar 28 13:31:31 UTC 2005

At 06:45 PM 28/03/05 +1000, Brett Paatsch wrote:
>Robin Hanson wrote:

snip

>>For the reason's I've given, I'm not very interested in working with you
>>to specify a bet on whether a revived cryonics patient is "really" the
>>same person.  I am more interested in the general issues about betting.
>
>Fair enough.
>
>As your papers already contain a lot of material on general issues I am
>less interested in revisiting those same issues.
>
>In practice it seems that that, a difference in commitment or interest
>towards different issues, perhaps because of a higher interest in other
>things, is enough for disagreements to persist.

Here is the way to structure winning or losing the bet.

Brett signs up for suspension.  When and if he is revived, he is asked if
he is the same person?  If he says yes, then Robin wins the bet.  If he
says no, Robin loses the bet and the not-Brett thing that says no is
immediately killed.

[grin]

Keith Henson