[extropy-chat] Mike, why bend over backward?

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 30 15:04:18 UTC 2005

--- Al Brooks <kerry_prez at yahoo.com> wrote:
> However divorce is also considered wrong by many.
> Divorce would have been Michael Schiavo discarding his
> wife.

He discarded his wife under the law when he shacked up with another
woman. Divorce is not considered wrong in case of adultery.

> So Schiavo cannot win now and couldn't win back
> in the '90s. Divorce his wife? He's a callous husband
> (that is to say callous ex-husband). Give the
> Schindlers custody of Terry? Then he would have
> ignored his wife's wishes that she be terminated in
> the sort of state she is in now-- assuming he is not
> lying about her unwritten living will.
> You can't even really accuse him of adultery, adultery
> is 'cheating' on a spouse, but in her condition it
> could be argued he isn't actually cheating since she
> is unaware of his behavior, not to mention everything
> else, and she cannot give him sex herself.

Adultery is not 'cheating' on a spouse. Adultery is sexual intercourse
with another outside the marriage contract (and at least here in NH)
when such intercourse may or does result in children outside that
contract. Marriage is a deed claim on the partners sexual organs for
reproductive purposes.

"Not giving sex" is grounds for not just divorce but total annullment
of a marriage.

> Mike you are usually fair, why are you bending over
> backward for Terry, but are being so unfair to her
> husband-- who is living a real life? I know you want
> to err on the side of life, but...sheesh.

Conditions are too suspicious to give the husband what he wants when we
have no idea what she wants. The courts have been pretty clear on this
up to now: unwritten wishes are only binding if all family members
agree. If there are no written wishes, and the family cannot decide,
the courts are supposed to side with life.

I find it interesting that so many people who are otherwise opposed to
the death penalty who normally demand huge walls of proof in order to
execute someone are treating Terri as if she is merely a bug to be
swatted. Terri never hurt anyone. Her husband might have. Why are you
treating her like less than a death row inmate?

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com