[extropy-chat] TECH: High tech era officially over, please turn out the lights.

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 30 20:32:29 UTC 2005

Comdex takes a dirt nap: Comdex, the high-tech trade show that once
commanded the attendance of the titans of the industry and at its
height filled Las Vegas to bursting with buffet-grazing geeks and booth
babes has been canceled. Again. In a statement, Comdex owner Good
Morning Silicon Valley reports: "MediaLive International, which had
promised to bring the event back in 2005 after canceling it for the
first time in 25 years, said it needs more time "to determine how
Comdex can best meet the future needs of the industry." "Through our
continued discourse across the community of IT buyers, vendors and
other stakeholders, we've made significant progress," the San
Francisco-based company said. "However, considerable work remains to
build an industry event to serve the industry as it matures with the
same success that Comdex did in its infancy." I'll say. But the real
question for MediaLive is this: Is the event worth bringing back in
2006? Does anyone even care? Somehow, I don't think so. "Comdex 2004
was cancelled?" joked Silicon Valley marketing guru Regis McKenna in a
recent conversation with GMSV. "I didn't notice." "

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com