[extropy-chat] Taiwan

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Thu Mar 31 12:55:32 UTC 2005

Eugen Leitl wrote:

>On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 10:09:56PM -0500, Dan Clemmensen wrote:
>

>>Why is this Extropian? The Taiwanese fabs are at the leading edge of
>>Moore's law.
>>Even if we don't make a nanotech breakthrough, Moore's law will take us to
>>the singularity within 15 years (a factor of 1000.) Yes, Moore's Law is
>>

>Do you have a specific scenario, suggesting how exactly Moore (assuming, it
>will hold up for the next 15 years) will result in the Singularity?

Looking at what's being cooked up in the labs now leads me to believe
that Moore's Law (approximately) will continue beyond 15yrs.
Anyway, at its crudest one could take a Human brain, slice it submicron
thin, map all its neurons/axions etc and use that in a simulation. That
would take quite a bit of computer power.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org