[extropy-chat] In defense of moral standards (Was: In defense of moral relativism)

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Thu May 5 18:44:46 UTC 2005

I am making a moral judgement indeed, and one in which I believe quite
strongly, but I am not claiming any objective status for it.
Of course I appreciate that this moral judgement is a product of my
life-history including the culture I was raised in, but so what? - I
am still willing to defend it.
Now if by "objective morality" we mean a shorthand for something like
"the ensemble of moral statements on which the vast majority of sane
individuals raised in civilized societies would probably agree", I can
use the term without problems (even if we would have to define much
more precisely the terms "sane" and "civilized").
But please let's not mix morality with (meta)physics. Morality has
just nothing to do with the Big Bang, the laws of mathematics and
logic, the laws of physics, or anything that I can consider really
fundamental in the universe as it is presently understood by science.
Morality is fundamental to us of course, but "2+2=4" and "Thou Shalt
Not Kill" are exemples of two classes of statements so fundamentally
different and unrelated that I just cannot see any point in trying to
mix them.
G.