[extropy-chat] A crushing defense of objective ethics. UniversalVolition and 'Ought' from 'is'.

Marc Geddes marc_geddes at yahoo.co.nz
Fri May 6 05:48:24 UTC 2005

>Let's briefly review your reasoning chain:
>
>Meaning comes from minds, subjectivity comes from
>minds, "meaning" has a
>meaning and it also comes from minds, "importance"
>has a meaning and it
>comes from minds, "good" has a meaning and it comes
>from minds, "evil" has a
>meaning and it comes from minds; therefore you
>conclude ethics is objective.
>Huh?
>
>And I don't understand why you should even care, if
>that cloud of hydrogen
>gas has an opinion on what I should do next I'm not
>very interested in what
>it is, I'll follow my own counsel thank you very
>much because subjectivity
>is far more important that objectivity.
>
>  John K Clark

I think you're not using the terms 'objectivity' and
'subjectivity' in the sense which I meant them.

Of course *subjective experience* is of great
importance.  I said that.  I said meaning comes from
minds, which you agreed with.

But by 'objective' I simply meant 'objective facts'
ie. 'Conclusions derieved through the use of reason
which all rational sentient observers could in
principle agree with'.

Re-read my argument.  You should certainly care about
what that hydrogen gas cloud is doing if the gas cloud
is in a physical state which is reducing the
probability of the continued existence of the
universe.  Remember... if the universe ends... all
sentient life ends as well, including you.

---

THE BRAIN is wider than the sky,
  For, put them side by side,
The one the other will include