[extropy-chat] A crushing defense of objective ethics. Universal Volition and 'Ought' from 'is'.

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri May 6 11:19:46 UTC 2005

On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 05:37:30PM +1200, Marc Geddes wrote:

> Not true!  For instance Frank Tipler's Omega Point
> theory had the ultimate fate of the universe being
> physically indeterminate, but it was still the case
> that sentients could predict the effects of their
> actions on the universe.  Tipler showed how sentients

Unfortunately, the Omega Point theory is wrong. So all his points are moot.

We're all stuck with measurement, measurement error, model building,
co-evolutionary Red Queen runaway, and undecidability (basically,
straight Goedel), computation limited by energy and realtime requirements.

Provability, formal reasoning; all this is a good recipe for the trash can of
the history as far as behaviour algorithms are concerned.