[extropy-chat] Creating Transhumanity

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Mon May 9 06:44:28 UTC 2005

> Adrian wrote:
> So, out of curiosity, would anyone else like to speak up, and tell us
> how y'all interpet transhumanism and what you're doing to make it
> happen?

Transhumanism to me is an extension and continuation of the upward
movement in humanity toward fulfillment, in the direction of
increasing perfection, abilities and choices and overcome various
types of limitation and suffering.   What attracted me originally and
still most lights me up is the real possibility of Abundance, on all
levels and for everyone.   But it goes deepen than that.   It
connects up to all those personal and global circuits that usually
get channeled into spirituality and religion.  Except that I see that
most of the things most religions promise in heaven or in another
life can be ours here, on this world, and in whatever other types of
habitats that may someday be ours.

So what am I doing.  I have been kicking something around for a long
time.   I am done kicking it around. I will found a strongly
transhumanist religion.   Ah. I can hear the groaning already.

I think that there is room and good reason to take the best of human
spirituality and its tools and deep yearnings and wed that with
science and especially with transhumanism/futurism/extropian memes.
A Vision that knits hearts and minds together toward its
manifestation could be planted all across many spiritual communities,
in transhumanist circles and pull in many others from their cynicism
or experience of lack of meaning.  When such a Vision takes hold the
chances of arriving at a future that sings the best in us into
manifestation will be greatly increased.

It is a religion because it will teach that we need much more than
technology to truly create a relative paradise on this earth.  It
will take a lot of in depth psychological and spiritual work to
become our best selves and free our energies for the Work.    It is
quite a shift of consciousness to really get Abundance.  This
religion is not exclusive and certainly doesn't have a corner on
Truth.  It is simply the best and widest net for moving forward that
I can presently conceive of weaving and casting.  You don't have to
believe everything I believe.  Take what works for where you are. It
will work for some and not for others.   It is not my job to figure
it all out.  I hope enough others  are drawn to the basic idea that
we together can flesh out the organization and create, ever sharpen
and spread the Vision.   I hope it infects a lot of people in various
other religions.  I hope it infects and inflames a lot of people who
think that to create, claim and be claimed by a Vision is somehow
intellectually uncool.

It is very early in the formation phase of this new religion.    The
name I am considering is "Church of the Fulfillment".   The idea
being that we, all of humanity, can now get on with fulfilling all
those age-old dreams of humanity and more for real, here and now, in
this world.

- samantha