[extropy-chat] Axiomatic Morality

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue May 10 20:49:55 UTC 2005

--- Dirk Bruere <dirk at neopax.com> wrote:
> Dirk Bruere wrote:
>
> > Three axiom possible bases:
> > (a) Propagation of self into the future
> > (b) Propagation of genes
> > (c) Propagation of memes
> >
> > Depending upon how cynical one is perhaps (a) can be derived from
> > either of the other two
> > Transhumanists clearly favour (a)
> > Religious people (c)
> > Most everyone else is primarily (b) and its consequences
> >
> Sorry it seems like I'm replying to my own post but my new spamkiller
>
> killed Mikes post as I was reading it on the server.
> He raises the possibility of a fourth axiom, that of the propagation
> of Nature. IMO that is actually (c)

Sorry to be pedantic, but actually, no. Memes require meaning making
machines to exist, yet natures existence is a tautology independent of
the existence of any meaning making machines, ergo natures continued
existence is (d) because it does not require man or other sentient life
to make it so. Relgious people can also buy into (d) as well as (c),
but the fact that tree huggers are religious nuts is idependent of the
fact that what they believe in exists independently of their beliefs.

For this reason, (d) natures existence, being true independent of the
solipsistic axiom bases posited by Dirk, is an objectively true axiom
base. Sorry, Dirk, but the rest of us will go on after you are gone.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com