[extropy-chat] calling all bayesians

Marc Geddes marc_geddes at yahoo.co.nz
Thu May 12 04:24:23 UTC 2005

>Guys help me eff this real-life effing problem:
>
>I build 150 droobs and use 131 of them in my freem.
>I test the remaining 19 spares destructively and
>find that all are good.  From that information only,
>what is the probability that all 131 droobs are good?

The probability that all remaining 131 droobs are good
is around:

1/118 (0.0085)  Pretty small.

My hackers intuition beats Eli's super genius again!
;)

Seriously, far too many people here have a Bayesian
fetish.  Believe me, Bayes is not the be all and end
all.  Some of you Bayesians are in for a tremendous
shock when you finally learn that deductive reasoning
cannot possibly be incorporated into Bayesian
induction.

---

THE BRAIN is wider than the sky,
  For, put them side by side,