[extropy-chat] A Chilling Thought.

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Sun May 15 16:41:18 UTC 2005

--- "J. Andrew Rogers" <andrew at ceruleansystems.com> wrote:
> The Avantguardian wrote:
> > Umm. . . because *cliche alert* "birds of a feather
> > flock together." When's the last time some ordinary
> > guy got invited to one of Paris Hilton's parties? They
> > would bind together because they have more in common
> > with one another than they do with us. The way they do
> > it is meeting at social gatherings, doing business
> > deals with one another, and intermarrying just to name
> > a few off the top of my head.
>
> I take it from this that you do not actually know many
> rich people, as this is a very strange and not very
> realistic characterization.  Most are indistinguishable
> from everyone else, hang out with the same people
> they always did, and generally do what they've
> always done.  There is a tiny blue blood set, but
> the vast majority aren't in it.

Technically, meeting at social gatherings and doing business deals with
one another are accurate - but misleading.  Most of these social
gatherings are open to anyone willing to at least act like and have the
(non-expensive) trappings of a businessperson.  Acting like one
requires some research into what all is expected, but it's doable.
Trappings, at least in the Silicon Valley scene (and, I'm told,
increasingly elsewhere) mainly consists of business-casual dress
(something you'd wear to an office; 3-piece suits and the like are only
expected at the extreme upper end), business cards, and an office (can
be a home office) and something to sell (product or service) that the
cards point one to.  Anyone can show up, but most of the time the rich
tend to do more business with those who have done a lot of business
before - a fair number of whom have become rich as a result.

Most of the rich do seem to be regular people only wealthier - and some
caution in matters financial (very few people get rich by recklessly
spending money).  Not that this caution is all that is needed to become
rich, just a common trait.