[extropy-chat] Proposal: was- A Chilling Thought.

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Mon May 16 20:09:58 UTC 2005

--- Brett Paatsch <bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> I read it. I thought it was a bit ranty to be
> honest. If you
> were going to try to pursade anyone with it - as
> opposed
> to preaching to the converted (posting to this list)
> - I think
> you'd need to sharpen it up.

      Yes. It is a bit ranty. I rant when I get angry.
The prospect that the very things I have been spending
nearly a decade going to school to learn how to do
being made completely illegal before I even get out of
school really ticks me off. Especially when they are
fallaciously based on some vague xtian notion that
"death and suffering are part of God's plan".
     The same bunch of guys that want to unleash the
"armies of compassion" to "free" the world, have
simultaneously insulted my spiritual sensibilities
with their hypocrisy AND threatened my livlihood with
their proposed legislation. I feel inclined to gird
myself for memetic war. You are right, however, in
that posting to the list IS preaching to the converted
and sounding too ranty IS liable to turn away the
non-converted.
    So how does this sound? WE write a
counter-manifesto, using language that will not
alienate or offend simple xtian folk, we get as many
signatures from list members on it as possible, and
post it to some websites. What do you say?

> Apparently. But I'm a bit perplexed by the answer.
>
> I don't think you've entered into your own scenario
> very
> strongly, despite describing it as a chilling
> thought.

     No I have not. In fact the more I think about,
the less I believe that particular scenario. I think a
more likely scenario is that biotech and cloning are
just like abortion, Schiavo, and gay marriage. All
just smoke and mirrors to confuse and distract
Americans from the fact that our leaders are engaged
in a crusade of military world conquest.
     I don't actually have a clue what the rationale
of the well-heeled supporters of anti-cloning
legislation actually is. All I know is that if the
history of politics in America is any indicator, then
it is at least 90 degrees off from their stated
agenda.

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't attempted to contact us."
-Bill Watterson