[extropy-chat] Proposal: was- A Chilling Thought.

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Mon May 16 21:21:08 UTC 2005

--- The Avantguardian <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>     So how does this sound? WE write a
> counter-manifesto, using language that will not
> alienate or offend simple xtian folk, we get as many
> signatures from list members on it as possible, and
> post it to some websites. What do you say?

Like many others that have already been written for our cause?

Manifestos don't accomplish much but make people feel good.  One of our
advantages is that we can consciously, deliberately focus on real
change
(or rather, stuff that works) as one of our core values.  Like, say, in
this case concentrate on the "not alienate or offend simple xtian
folk",
and find a way for politicians to incorporate our values into winning
political campaigns.

Why kill, and waste their resources, when you can co-opt?

>      No I have not. In fact the more I think about,
> the less I believe that particular scenario. I think a
> more likely scenario is that biotech and cloning are
> just like abortion, Schiavo, and gay marriage. All
> just smoke and mirrors to confuse and distract
> Americans from the fact that our leaders are engaged
> in a crusade of military world conquest.

There could be some of this...but if so, they're finding out they
simply don't have the budget for conquest - or a clue of how, exactly,
nominally free society can "conquer" anyone, since they are forbidden
from implementing overt fear and repression, and the covert methods
they
have slowly slipped in at home can not be implemented on the rapid
timescale that "conquest" implies.