[extropy-chat] Bioethics Essay- Revised

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue May 24 04:52:32 UTC 2005

--- The Avantguardian <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I actually considered this possibility, which is
> precisely why I am calling for the ban on reproductive
> cloning to remain in effect in my essay. I shudder to
> think that Christianity might be wrong and that I am
> dooming future fully developed clones to
> stigmatization as souless slaves. Therefore I
> sincerely hope we are never foolish enough to allow a
> clone to reach full development.

The theological problem is worse than that. A soulless being is an
empty vessel that can be filled by any demon, thus to the xians who
subscribe to the posession/demonology stuff as real, making soulless
clones is tantamount to building a demon army for the anti-christs
imminent arrival (you don't have to be a Star Wars fan to see this).
Tis better to accept that any embryo, natural or engineered, gains a
soul through the unconditional gift of the mothers love in the womb.
Don't give the chiliasts any purchase.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com