[extropy-chat] Bioethics Essay- Revised

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Tue May 24 05:04:06 UTC 2005

Mike Lorrey wrote:

>--- The Avantguardian <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>I actually considered this possibility, which is
>>precisely why I am calling for the ban on reproductive
>>cloning to remain in effect in my essay. I shudder to
>>think that Christianity might be wrong and that I am
>>dooming future fully developed clones to
>>stigmatization as souless slaves. Therefore I
>>sincerely hope we are never foolish enough to allow a
>>clone to reach full development.
>>

>The theological problem is worse than that. A soulless being is an
>empty vessel that can be filled by any demon, thus to the xians who
>subscribe to the posession/demonology stuff as real, making soulless
>clones is tantamount to building a demon army for the anti-christs
>imminent arrival (you don't have to be a Star Wars fan to see this).
>Tis better to accept that any embryo, natural or engineered, gains a
>soul through the unconditional gift of the mothers love in the womb.
>Don't give the chiliasts any purchase.

Don't do it unless you want to fight the whole battle again when
artificial wombs become technically possible. Except this time you would
be on record as admitting that they are inherently evil.
The above is an example of the folly of messing with amateur theology.
The whole thing smacks of "...let's pretend we believe your childish
crap and we'll humour you by dishing up more crap that we hope you are
stupid enough to swallow." It's embarassing, futile and ultimately
counter productive.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-