[extropy-chat] Should You be Freaking About Oil Peaking?

kevinfreels.com kevin at kevinfreels.com
Tue May 24 15:46:19 UTC 2005

I'm curious. Does anyone know of anythign that couldn;t be modified to run
on ethanol? What about pure ethanol? I know that currently ethanol is
basically poisoned so people can't get drunk off of it and gasoline is part
of the poison mixture, but is the gasoline itself necessary? Can aviation
fuel and be made of ethanol? Or more correctly, can sufficient aviation
engines be built for use with ethanol? Has anyone tested an ethanol jet
engine or does ethanol just not carry enough energy?

I really don;t know a lot about ethanol, but it seems to me that if we are
subsidizing farmers to not grow corn, and at the same time oil is getting
too expensive, maybe we should be putting a lot more emphasis on ethanol
production. There's no need to shrink the automobile to a point where people
hate using them. It may work in europe, but Americans love their cars.